Owning a pet comes with a lot of joy, but it can also be expensive. In addition to costs for basic items such as food and toys, veterinary bills can rack up if your pets gets sick or injured. Enrolling in a pet insurance policy protects you from unexpected veterinary bills, allowing you to focus on getting your pet healthy.
We at the Home Media reviews team have analyzed the top pet insurance providers’ prices, coverage, waiting periods, customer service and more. We’ve compiled our findings in this guide to help you find the best pet insurance in Oklahoma, whether you live in Oklahoma City, Tulsa or somewhere in between.
Oklahoma’s 7 Top Pet Insurance Companies
These are our top choices for the best pet insurance companies in Oklahoma.
To learn more: Lemonade Pet Insurance review
Get your quote: Visit Lemonade’s website
To learn more: Spot Pet Insurance review
Get your quote: Visit Spot’s website
To learn more: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance review
Get your quote: Visit Healthy Paws’ website
To learn more: Fetch by The Dodo Pet Insurance review
Get your quote: Visit Fetch by The Dodo’s website
To learn more: Embrace Pet Insurance review
Get your quote: Visit Embrace’s website
Get your quote: Visit Figo’s website
To learn more: Trupanion Pet Insurance review
Get your quote: Visit Trupanion’s website
Types of Pet Insurance Plans
Multiple factors can affect your monthly premium. The main factors are your annual coverage limit (the total amount your provider will reimburse in one year), deductible (your out-of-pocket expenses before reimbursements begin), and reimbursement rate (the percentage of your bills that will be paid back). These features are frequently customizable, so you can choose what works best with your budget.
There are two main types of pet insurance plans: accident-only and accident-and-illness. Some companies also provide optional add-ons for wellness care. We’ll expand on each of these plans and what they cover below.
- Accident-only: This is the most basic coverage available. It only covers injuries from accidents, including bite wounds, toxic ingestions, swallowed objects, broken bones and lacerations. Though it’s the cheapest option, it means you won’t be covered if your pet is diagnosed with a condition or illness.
- Accident-and-illness: This is the most common and comprehensive policy, covering vet bills for both accidents and illnesses. Coverage includes various conditions and diseases, such as diabetes, cancer, allergies, hip dysplasia, infections, hereditary conditions and chronic conditions. These plans also cover the care associated with treating illnesses, such as diagnostic testing, surgery and prescription medications.
- Wellness care: Preventive care is typically offered as an add-on to your standard policy for an extra monthly fee. These add-ons cover services and treatments such as vaccinations, flea, tick and heartworm prevention, bloodwork, urinalysis and more.
How To Choose the Right Pet Insurance Provider in Oklahoma
Choosing a pet insurance agency can be overwhelming. Consider the following factors while researching providers:
- Coverage caps: Providers offer varying annual coverage limits, or the total amount of money they will reimburse you in one year. A handful of companies offer uncapped coverage, guaranteeing that pet owners never have to worry about running out of coverage. Consider Spot, Trupanion, Fetch or Healthy Paws if you’re interested in a plan with no coverage cap.
- Customization: Many pet insurance companies allow pet parents to adjust their deductible, coverage limit and reimbursement rate. This flexibility allows you to set your monthly premium at an amount that works within your budget.
- Plan type: The most common plans are accident-and-illness and accident-only. If you’re on a budget and only want accident/injury protection, you can focus on providers that offer accident-only plans, such as Spot.
- Preventive care: If wellness care is important to you, look for providers that offer this coverage as an add-on, such as Lemonade, Spot, Embrace or Figo.
- The fine print: Always read the fine print before enrolling in a plan. Ensure that you understand the provided coverage, exclusions, waiting periods and discounts. Some companies include a sample policy on their website for your perusal.
The Bottom Line: Which Is the Best Pet Insurance Company in Oklahoma?
Whether playing with your dog at Norman Community Dog Park or relaxing at home with your cat, health issues can affect your furry companion anytime. Pet insurance will protect your wallet and pet if it becomes sick or injured.
Begin your search for a policy by deciding which features are most important to you: monthly costs, reimbursement rates or customer service. We recommend Lemonade for affordable, comprehensive coverage. Spot and Healthy Paws are good options if you’re looking for unlimited coverage.
Each pet insurance company in Oklahoma has unique offerings, so we recommend comparing at least three different quotes.
Compare Pet Insurance Providers in Oklahoma
In the table below, we compared top pet insurance companies in Oklahoma based on average cost, waiting periods and discounts.
*Each provider’s monthly cost is based on accident-and-illness policy quotes we obtained for a 4-year-old, medium-sized, mixed-breed dog in Tulsa, Okla.
Methodology: Our System for Ranking the Best Pet Insurance Companies
Our review of pet insurance companies is based on in-depth industry research that includes reading hundreds of customer reviews, simulating the quote and purchasing process, speaking to representatives on the phone to assess the customer service experience and surveying 1,000 dog and cat owners nationwide to determine the most important elements of pet insurance coverage. We have scored each provider on a 100-point scale based on those elements.
Here are more details about each factor and how they’re weighted:
- Monthly pricing (25 points): How much each company charges for its pet insurance plans is an important part of a customer’s decision. The best pet insurance companies combine comprehensive coverage and plan options with affordable rates.
- Plans (15 points): The top pet insurance companies offer accident and illness plans, accident-only plans and wellness or preventive care add-ons to give customers the option to choose a plan that’s best for their pet.
- Covered treatments (15 points): With this factor, we scored companies based on the treatments and procedures they cover. Companies with a breadth of included treatments and unique coverages received more points than providers with more standard or general policies.
- Customization options (10 points): Customizing your policy is a valuable way to ensure you only pay for what your pet needs. Providers with more annual-limit, deductible and reimbursement-rate options earned the highest scores.
- Customer care (10 points): We scored companies on their website accessibility and overall usability, customer service availability, mobile apps (if any), money-back guarantees and veterinarian telehealth options, awarding points to the insurers with more customer experience offerings.
- Industry reputation (10 points): To determine each company’s industry reputation, we reviewed up-to-date ratings and accreditation information from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and scored companies on their years of experience in the industry and their state availability.
- Waiting periods (10 points): Companies with shorter accident, illness and orthopedic waiting periods between the sign-up and coverage start date scored higher than companies with longer waiting periods.
- Eligible age (5 points): Some companies don’t offer policies for pets that are over a certain age. We deducted points from providers that have age limits for covered pets.
We use our rating system to compare and contrast each company against key factors to help us determine the best pet insurance companies in the industry. Additionally, we keep our research up to date and revisit our reviews on a regular basis.